IAPT is pleased to present these upcoming Play Therapy Trainings! Check back for more info on later trainings.
APT Approved Provider #07-195
Approved Provider status is granted by the Association for Play Therapy; this allows registrants to earn credit at IAPT programs towards their Registered Play Therapist or Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor credentials.
Upcoming IAPT Workshops
Follow the links below for more information on upcoming trainings from IAPT.
- Superheroes and Pop Culture in Play Therapy
- Presenter: Sophia Ansari, LPCC, RPT
- Date: Friday, November 3 2023
- Time: 9:00 am to 4:30 pm (1 hour lunch on your own)
- Location: St. Alban’s Episcopal Church, 3510 W Central Park Ave, Davenport, IA 52801
- Workshop Description: Many of us have memories of using a blanket as a makeshift cape and jumping off the couch and imagining we were flying like Superman. Superheroes are a fun and magical part of childhood and provide meaningful new lessons into adulthood. The stories from comic books and pop culture media can offer a powerful analogy to frame our own experiences with trauma, grief, anxiety, and depression. The stories may be stories of fantasy but what makes them all relatable is that the characters and narratives are grounded in human emotion.
Integrating a client’s interests in play therapy can nurture rapport building, encourage creativity, and can provide a safe distance to process emotions and gain perspective. This interactive workshop will provide participants with creative play therapy interventions that integrate their clients’ interests. Learn how to help your clients discover they are the heroes of their own stories!
- Describe the history of using superheroes in play therapy and counseling, its pioneers, and its effectiveness in the treatment of children and adolescents.
- Discuss the background stories and themes (grief, PTSD, substance abuse, trauma) of popular culture characters and stories.
- Apply creative play therapy interventions using superhero mythology.
- Apply Positive Psychology and strengths-based play therapy interventions using pop culture media.
- Identify valuable resources (web sites, books) to enhance your “geek therapy” knowledge.
- Demonstrate methods of introducing mindfulness and self-compassion using superhero and pop culture themes.
- Register here
2023 Annual Fall Conference
IAPT is excited to have Franc Hudspeth as the speaker for our 2023 Annual Fall Conference being held at the Sheraton in West Des Moines, IA. The conference is September 20-22, 2023. More information here!
2024 Spring One-Day Conference
IAPT is excited to promote our annual spring one-day conference to provide you even more learning opportunities.
Information coming soon!